History of the golden slipper

C15th / C16th

North east portion was built
1821  William Brown was hanged on Bailie Hill for robbing John Armstrong when he was "returning from having a few on the sign of The Slipper in Goodramgate". Armstrong had been severely beaten and thrown into the river until he as "still and stagnated with cold" (as reported in The Gazette 17th - 24th March 1821). 
April 1826 York Herald reported; "Strike amongst the bricklayers - A meeting was held at Mrs March's, at the sign of The Slipper in Goodramgate, on Wednesday last".  The article goes on to say that as employers combined to reduce the wages of the journey men by two shillings per week - a reduction which the men refused to accede - a "strike" had been the result.
C19th The remainder was complete and the Victoria brick facade added. 
1984 Click here to view an enlarged version of this image.During alteration works workmen found a mediaeval leather slipper, one of two that was built into 14th century buildings to ward of evil spirits (now displayed in the front snug / lounge).  The other shoe would have belonged to a child, but was never found.

Also in the front lounge, you can see where a "Coffin Drop" was located (the ceiling is lower), this would enable the bodies to leave the building into the side passage, as it was regarded as very unlucky for a body to leave via the front door of the building.

Home | Cruella's Kitchen | Menu | Pub History | What's going on | Visiting York | Useful Links

20 Goodramgate, York YO1 7LG